On the last eve of 2013 I bring you an open flower. I did so much in this year, much of which I would never have predicted. So, with caution, I approach 2014. And will see how this year blossoms. All the best, my dear readers.
In a class for the Shibori Half-Square Triangle quilt, We laid it out on a table, (not pinned to a design wall). It is much easier to flip and exchange while flat, but hard to see the total effect. So, a shot from above takes care of that. This is just two one yard pieces of my shibori fabric.
The New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, Massachusetts, has the collection of miniature quilts made by Dorothy Bosselman of reproductions of Amish quilts. This one is about 16"square, and who knows how many pieces. I wondered at these gems when I visited in October.
Looking for adding a pattern to my solid yellow, I used some torn blue tape (as my block out) on the back of a silk screen. I squeegeed using textile paint -- you know, transparent extender with dye concentrate. Hot iron sets the color.
Essential to progress. Those who have worked with freezer paper templates recognize this step. I have some recombined pieces and am now applying the template and trimming with an added 1/4" seam. I know, boring.
Someone who will be in my Shibori Half-Square Triangle class this January at Quilting at the Lake (Havasu, Arizona) wrote to ask me whether to use my shibori fabric for the class, or should she bring her own. I have a couple using each type, shibori or large scale prints. Still can't decide.
We selected one of the three large hunks of fabric to use for the large finished piece. Yes, I made a table 14' long to position the freezer paper template. Ironed it on, marked, and now that piece is ready. Slow progress, but still progress.
I have been processing about 50 yards of this color green, so no wonder these Osage Oranges caught my attention at the public market. And no, I did not digitally or otherwise add the red berries. Happenstance!
I am dying a 5 yard piece of fabric for the next work. This is one of three hunks that are cycling in from soda soak, to underdye, to wash out, to soda soak, to dry, to over dye, to wash out, back to soda soak, well, you get the idea. I hope that one works. The others will start something new.
Scaling up to the finished size of 11 feet high, this is the full size drawing for the next piece (still without a name) and tomorrow I will make a full scale freezer paper template. You know how I love to use freezer paper.
A trip to Rochester City Hall had me checking out the current show at the Link Gallery there. Lynne Feldman had works that combine paint and fabric collage. This detail shows how she cuts and glues the fabric to a canvas layer. Very fun, indeed.
Longarm is now set up. So, I tried out some patterns and line work on this sample. I wanted to see how much the quilting would shrink the size (53" x 60"). Not much, really. And to see how the background shows through the white. A bit.
Using Anita Grossman Solomon's technique for cutting blocks with no waste, I made this many years ago. Reorganizing the studio unearthed it, now the longarm will quilt it quickly. Good for a warm-up on the machine.